Proud to support the NPA - LEARN MORE → Proud to support the National Pharmacy Association - LEARN MORE →

Choose another country or region to see content specific to your location and shop online
Balmonds us us
Are you in the right place?

Please select a store

< Back to Info Hub

Aug 23, 2019

Working With Skin Conditions: 2. Help & Advice

Working with skin conditions

If you suffer from eczema or any other long-term skin condition, it is likely that it will affect your working life to some extent or other. If you’re confused and anxious about what you can do about it, then here's the second part of our Working With Skin Conditions feature.

Remember that all employees have rights. For example, you have a right to paid holidays and to be paid at least the national minimum wage. If you’re a disabled worker, you have additional rights at work.

What are your rights as a worker with a chronic skin condition?

By law, your employer:

  • is not allowed to discriminate against you because you have a skin condition.
  • must keep your job open for you and can’t pressure you to resign because your skin gets worse.
  • has to make reasonable adjustments to your place of work, the job you do, or the terms and conditions of your employment.

Who does disability legislation apply to?

These additional rights might apply to you, even if you don’t think of yourself as disabled.

The legislation applies to anyone who has ‘a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect’ on their ability to carry out day-to-day activities.

Where to go for help

Fit for Work offers free, expert and impartial advice to anyone looking for help with issues around health and work. You can browse their online resources, chat online to a specialist advisor, email a question or call the free advice line on 0800 032 6235 (English) or 0800 032 6233 (Cymraeg).

See your GP and ask for a doctor’s note to explain the implications of your condition.

Ask for help at Citizen’s Advice. They have information on what counts as a disability here.

Ask your union for help 

ACAS: Acas (Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service) provides free and impartial information and advice to employers and employees on all aspects of workplace relations and employment law, including disabilities and long-term ill-health.


For more practical strategies on working with eczema or other chronic skin conditions, read the first part of our Employment & Skin Conditions feature.

Important Note

If you require medical advice we recommend you always contact your healthcare professional.

If you or someone you are caring for seems very unwell, is getting worse or you think there's something seriously wrong, call for emergency services straight away. For general medical advice, please contact your healthcare professional, this article does not contain or replace medical advice.

Do not delay getting help if you're worried. Trust your instincts.

Other Info Hub articles you may be interested in:

    has been successfully added to your cart.